By November 29, 2010 0 Comments Read More →

2008 Dodge Avenger Overheating

Reader Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger and the other day I had to add some antifreeze and I rushing to get on the road and I forgot to put the cap back on and I drove for about 20 minutes. The gauge was higher than normal and I decided to turn around and go home and swap out vehicles. Then the car started overheating with steam/smoke coming from under the hood. I turned the car off and waited for the car to cool down and then I tried to start it again but it wouldnt start ~ it would crank over but it wouldnt start.

So I waited a little while and I added some water and I tried to start it again and all it does is click thatБ─≥s it. My father in-law tried jump starting it but nothing happened. Any idea what it could be? Why my car wonБ─≥t start? The starter? The battery? The motor (seized)? The lights work on the car. So I am at a lost. I still owe about $13k on this POS. Any help/suggestions/ideas you can come with would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. I know you are busy.

Hi There!

I would make sure everything under the hood is DRY….all electical connections etc. etc. If the engine turns over but wont start, I would suspect a sensor got coolant on it and needs to dry out. If the engine will NOT turn over, like dead battery then I would make sure the battery is charged and alll battery connections are tight.

I dont think you have internal damage, but something simple is probably still wet and needs to dry out.

Austin Davis

Posted in: Dodge

About the Author: