By May 28, 2012 Read More →

Car Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air

Hello, Austin,

I came across your website when I was looking for answers to what to do about an older vehicle my husband wants that has a broken A/C. I have heard that one cannot get a shot of Freon anymore.

Supposedly, one has to replace the A/C or some such thing. I don’t want my husband to buy this vehicle and then have to put a lot of money into it. Can you help me to let him know what needs to be done to fix the A/C and whether or not it is just a matter of replacing the Freon?




Hello Meri

The first thing you should do in this situation is get a qualified air conditioning mechanic to add some Freon to the system and check it for leaks. This will probably cost you $100 or so U.S., but this will give you some idea of cost needed to repair the A/C.

Just adding the Freon to run the test MIGHT be all that is needed. It is not too uncommon for older vehicles like this to seep some Freon out over time and need a “shot” here and there to top the system off again and keep things cold. When the seep turns into a leak is when the repairs can get costly.


Austin Davis

Posted in: A/C and Heater

About the Author:

Austin Davis, consumer car repair advocate. "Hi there! I love to help people solve their car repair problems and I hope my site was helpful to you today. Thank you for stopping by."

Comments are closed.