By June 21, 2007 1 Comments Read More →

Florida laws for car insurance.

Reader question:

I’m moving to Florida. Can I keep my insurance when I go there?


Sorry, Ralph, but it can’t be done.

Not, at least, if you want to comply with Florida state law. Like most states in the country, Florida requires that you get your insurance from a car insurance company licensed and registered by the state of Florida to provide insurance in the state of Florida. Even if your old insurance company allowed for you to use it in other states, once you get to Florida you will have to switch to a provider from that state.

Insurance is required on any vehicle in Florida with at least four wheels. The type of insurance that you’ll need to comply with state law is typical liability–$10,000 Personal Injury Protection (PIP), along with $10,000 Property Damage Liability (PDL). This is required so long as you have a Florida tag. If the vehicle is in another state, or not running, it’s is still required to comply to Florida insurance laws. There are no exemptions, but if you’ve been in a crash, or have been convicted of certain things like drunk driving, you may have to get Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) as well.

In the state of Florida, driving without insurance is punishable by the loss of license. To reinstate your license once it’s been suspended, you could be required to pay a fine from $150 to $500.


Fashun Guadarrama.

Posted in: Auto Insurance

About the Author:

  • Maria

    Thats correct, various have different liability car insurance coverage and insurance laws as well