Author Topic: 2000 t&c, key left in "on" postion, now car won't start  (Read 25699 times)

2000 t&c, key left in "on" postion, now car won't start
on: November 28, 2009, 10:11:39 AM
2000 Chrysler Town and Country 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

Yesterday I was cleaning the interior of the car. My daughter wanted to listen to music while she helped me and so I turned the key to the 'on' position and turned on a cd. About 15-20 minutes later the radio shut off.

I tried turning the car on and nothing happened. The dash lights and interior lights still came on as well as the windshield wipers and power windows etc... but the car didn't turn over at all. There was complete silence. We tried jump starting the car too but it was the same thing. We put in a new battery as well as tried moving around the relay modules but that didn't help either.

We replaced our starter last year. This time, my husband tried knocking the starter w/ a hammer to see if that would help but didn't get anything with that either. We looked at the fuses and they all seem fine.

When we try to start the car the lights are just as bright when the key is in any of the positions. Also, there are no dash lights in the on position but in the start position there are dash lights. When I try to turn the car over, the dash lights stay on.

Additionally, when I turn the car to the start position there's a mechanical sounding noise (similar to a seat moving) coming from behind the glove box. The noise is for about 2-3 seconds. It makes the sound when we turn the key off too.

I'm wondering if we need to check spark plugs or wires? The battery connections seems fine. Could it be the alternator? Could it be the ignition switch or the starter solenoid?

We've had issues with the 'on'positon draining life from the battery where it's made it difficult to start the car &/or it required a jump. We've never had it to the point where we can't get it started at all.

We were hoping it was a fuse but the only box is under the hood and there don't seem to be fuses (that would be bad) that are connected to this issue?

Even if we replaced the starter last year (DIY) could it be bad again? We're already out 130.00 bucks for a new battery and fuses that we didn't need.

Any advice? Thank you.

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • Share Post
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 t&c, key left in "on" postion, now car won't start
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:56:15 AM
First, make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight.  Then have the battery tested.  You'll have to remove it from the vehicle and take it to a parts store that has the capabilities of load testing the battery.

Once you know that the battery is good and fully charged that is when you try troubleshooting the electrical system if the problem is still there.

Advertisement

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
Thanks. Battery's good, fuses are good. could it be the ignition switch? starter was replaced last year, could it be a faulty starter?

Advertisement

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • Share Post
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:02 PM
I don't have a schematic in front of me at the moment, but T&C should have a starter relay in the fuse/relay box under the hood.  When you turn the ignition to start, do you hear/feel the relay click?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:32:36 PM
Yes, we hear the relay click.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • Share Post
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:35:21 PM
Pull the relay out.  There are numbers on the bottom of the relay that correspond to the terminals in the relay socket.  Take a piece of wire (jumper wire) and jump terminals 87 to 30 in the relay socket.  Make sure that the transmission is in park/ignition off.  The starter motor should run when you jumper the terminals.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by discretesignals »

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:07:13 PM
ok, we'll go do that.

transman618

• Global Moderator
    • Share Post
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 03:50:01 PM
When you turn your key to the "on" position you are putting power to everything including the ECM/TCM, the ignition system, the transmission etc.... Your vehicle has what we call an "accessory" position in the ignition switch. The accessory position will allow you use of limited things such as the cigarette lighter, power windows and radio. Use this accessory position when sitting with the engine off and listening to the radio.

transman

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 03:54:06 PM
Thank you. When I went out to tell him about the relay he was just finishing pulling the starter out to have it tested. It tested fine so he went to buy an ignition switch. Any thoughts?

Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 04:22:46 PM
My daughter wanted to listen to music while she helped me and so I turned the key to the 'on' position and turned on a cd. About 15-20 minutes

That was the mistake. Shocked  Sad  Shocked

transman618

• Global Moderator
    • Share Post
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 04:24:04 PM
Did you try starting it with the transmission in neutral.  A bad neutral safety switch in the transmission would do this.  Try turning the key to the start position, while holding it in the start position wiggle the gear shift lever, also try starting the van in Neutral.

transman

transman618

• Global Moderator
    • Share Post
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 04:27:16 PM
Ok, I just reread your initial post and saw you are not getting dash lights, that would rule out the neutral safety switch.  It could just be that ignition switch...  Discretesignals can get you through this.  He's "D" man.....

transman
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by transman618 »

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 04:34:21 PM
It could just be that ignition switch...

YEAH!!! If you rule out the basics first. We still haven't heard from you so we have no way of knowin what you ruled in or out.

I'm sayin ignition control module because it's solid state. The module is gonna blow long before a HARDWIRED ignition switch is gonna short. Cool

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 05:01:07 PM
Hi,

We've tried starting it in neutral, didn't work, we've tried wiggling the gear shift, didn't work. We've tested the starter, it's fine. The battery's fine.  all the fuses are fine, the relay modules are fine.

How do we test the ignition control module?

About the key in the on position, I didn't know any better. Sad

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 05:08:15 PM
He's decided to try and see if it's the ignition switch. We bought one for 24.99. Further ideas or suggestions?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

xx
EVAP monitor showing "not completed"; 2000 Dodge Stratus

Started by

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 12:09:41 PM
by
xx
2000 Honda Passport "computer" problem

Started by

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2004, 08:18:45 AM
by
xx
2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE/ "rings" while driving.

Started by

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 12:53:10 PM
by
xx
2000 Cavalier shows "error" in odometer

Started by

8 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 08:08:40 PM
by
xx
2000 Monte Carlo "Air" issues.