Author Topic: 2001 Saturn L Series V6 - Oil Lines?  (Read 1200 times)

tolinrome

• View Profile
2001 Saturn L Series V6 - Oil Lines?
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
I bought a used 2001 Saturn L Series V6 and got scammed, but long story short this is the problem:

There was transmission fluid ending up in the coolant container and after a couple of shady mechanics I found an honest one and he said the problem was the radiator, that it was leaking transmission oil into the coolant system and thats how the transmission oil ended up in the coolant container. So he changed the radiator and that problem was solved.
But, the shady mechanic that looked at the car before him actually didnt know what he was doing and cut these two metal pipes that were coming out of the oil filter (like a cylinder shaped metal object) and put a transmission rubber hose around the two pipes so the oil was just looping back into its self, it never reached the other end of the engine. I didn tknow this and every time I drove a few miles oil would just gush out of the car (the rubber host couldnt handle the pressure and would burst). So, instead of finding two new metal pipes and doing all the work to get them into the engine, I told him to just unscrew the two metal pipes from where the oil filter is and plug them up, he did that but now the engine oil light is on and the engine is making ticking sound.

So what is the purpose of these two metal pipes that carry oil out of the oil filter? Why is it causing this problem? I wouldnt even know what to call them to look for them. I would like to replace them to finally get the car working but even if I had them it would take a lot of work to get them in since they go under the engine somewhere.
Can someone please help? Thanks.

Linkback: http://www.trustmymechanic.com/forum/b1/2001-saturn-l-series-v6-oil-lines/39024/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:45:36 PM by tolinrome »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 Saturn L Series V6 - Oil Lines?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
That's not a smart thing to do.  Those pipes are used to circulate engine oil to be cooled as it runs through the oil cooler at the front of the car.  Since you plugged off the ports for the pipes, you have no oil pressure inside your engine now.  There might be engine damage because you have no oil pressure when you were running your engine.

Your going to have to call your local GM dealer or find those pipes at a local salvage yard.  Don't even start or crank the engine until you have those pipes in place.  Pray that there isn't any damage to the bearings. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:09:11 PM by discretesignals »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via twitter

tolinrome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:38 PM »
Thank you sir, what are those lines callled so I know what to order?

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
They are called supply and return engine oil cooler lines.  If you go the dealer parts route, they should be able to bring up a picture on their computer of the lines to show you.

lymanmillerfl

• C U L8ER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
I know of no factory saturn that has an external ENGINE oil cooler running to the radiator or anywhere. The lines that were cut were possibly the transmission cooler lines as you stated in first post. By-passing the trans cooler will definately overheat the trans. The one thing that has a lacking in the factory cooling systems is the trans. If anything, you should ADD a cooler for the trans. This by-pass of the trans cooler will have minimal effect on engine oil pressure. The only way that engine oil pressure could be effected by this would be, the strain on the motor due to the overheating transmission.

discretesignals

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
This Saturn has a factory engine oil cooler.

Share Topic

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter