Author Topic: Friend of mine ruined his engine, Does this make sense?  (Read 2044 times)

Xyius

• Share Post
    • View Profile
Friend of mine ruined his engine, Does this make sense?
on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:53 PM
So a friend of mine ruined his engine two days ago.  I would really value any ones 2 cents they wish to share about the following situation.

After paying 1200 dollars to have his clutch replaced in his transmission and his timing belt replaced his car was good to go. A week after driving it, and on his way home from class, he sees that the oil light comes on.  Noticing the light came on, he begins to look for a spot to pull over, after about 2 minutes his power steering started to go and his engine died just as he finds a place.  I got to his car soon after figuring his oil pump went and his engine seized up and that was the end.  He tried to start it and it did indeed start, it was struggling to stay running however, and there was a very loud clanking noise coming from the engine.

MY DIAGNOSIS:
I figured, as mentioned earlier, that his oil pump went and was unable to lubricate everything in the engine properly, the loss of power steering was due to the engine becoming slower and slower as the friction built up in his engine, which caused the power steering pump not to work as well.  And I figured the noise from his engine was a broken valve in the combustion chamber his piston hit and broke caused by a badly lubricated timing belt.

HIS MECHANICS DIAGNOSIS:
This guy says that the old timing belt that was replaced was lose and rubbing up against the housing causing particles of the belt to break off into the oil system, causing clogging.

My question is, is this possible?  Can a timing belt become so lose that it can do this?  Would this really be able to happen a week after replacing the old belt?

I would really value any ones opinion on this. Thanks!

Advertisement

losmaster

• Share Post
    • View Profile
Re: Friend of mine ruined his engine, Does this make sense?
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:20:54 PM
Is this a chevy cavalier? What engine is in it? Chevy's use a timing chain rather than a belt, as far as I know.   Sad
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:43:51 PM by losmaster »

Advertisement

Xyius

• Share Post
    • View Profile
Re: Friend of mine ruined his engine, Does this make sense?
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:38 PM
Ohh I am sorry, I did not specify.  I actually do not know what type of car he has exactly. I can find out though, ill do that as soon as I can.

Advertisement

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

xx
been a good friend of mine

Started by zhangzk

0 Replies
Last post October 07, 2018, 10:42:58 PM
by zhangzk
xx
Friend is parting out his 1997 Mustang, same as mine, what should I take?

Started by asilentfire

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 05:34:29 PM
by discretesignals
xx
does this make sense????

Started by

13 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 07:23:21 PM
by losmaster
xx
help,oilchange ruined engine