By August 26, 2008 Read More →

Is My Frame Bent?

I recently hit something on an Interstate Highway (don’t ask me what it was since it was 1:30 in the morning and I all I know it was black as the road) that caused some damage to the frame of my Mustang GT. I pulled over to check if there was any damage but thankfully there was no exterior damage and the car continued to run fine.

I didn’t notice the damage until I brought my car into the dealer to fix a squeaking noise I kept hearing everytime the weight shifted on the car (which I mistakenly took for a damaged coil spring from the accident) and they told me of the damage to the frame and subframe of the passenger side of the vehicle. Whatever I hit actually punched some holes into the frame and punched the traction bar into the frame as well (which explains the squeaking noise).

My question is what should I be asking for at the body shop? I’ll probably be going to a body shop referred by my insurance company since I won’t have to deal with the hassle of having the shop drag out the time to repair my vehicle just because they need to get more money from my insurance…

How can I tell if the work is good and that the frame is perfectly straight? What about the risk of rust getting into the frame?

Any help would greatly be appreciated… By the way, I liked the book and found it informative…



Hey there Kris,

Sorry to hear about your run in with the mysterious black object. From what you told me, I don’t think this is going to be a major repair…or will have any depreciation on the resale value. Depending on your insurance deductible, I would visit a few bodyshops in your area and get their opinion and an estimate before I decided on one particular shop.

Even though your insurance will be involved and will pay for damages OVER what your deductible cost is….it is still YOU who will be dealing with the shop during and after the actual repair period.

To insure you get the frame straightened properly I would ask the repair shop to give you a copy of the 4 wheel alignment print out, those alignment machines are very good and anything with the frame and subframe that is out of whack will show in that print out. They should also rust proof any part of the body and frame that is showing bare metal.

You can also buy a can of undercoating from your local auto parts store and cover any bare spots that you might see (or your oil change place might see on your next oil change). I would also get a copy of the insurance estimate and keep it for your records.


Austin Davis

About the Author:

Austin Davis, consumer car repair advocate. "Hi there! I love to help people solve their car repair problems and I hope my site was helpful to you today. Thank you for stopping by."

Comments are closed.